Frequently Asked Questions
If you are new to Canada and might be wondering about the meaning of some terms, here is a guide to help you with some of our tax terms.
Do I get 15% refund on my tuition fee paid?

The 15%, which is the federal tax bracket is multiplied by your tuition paid. (This will serve as a non-refundable tax to reduce your tax liability to zero)

I missed the last filing season; can I file for prior year?

Yes, You can

As an international student, am I qualified to file my Taxes?

Yes, According to CRA, you are regarded as a resident once you move into Canada, and as a resident you are required to file your tax return

What is a non-refundable tax credit?

A non-refundable tax credit is a tax benefit given to you by CRA to help reduce your tax liability to zero

Can I file my taxes with Zero income?

Yes, and with that you can receive your GST/HST credit

I have lost my T4 from my off-campus employer. What should I do to be able to file taxes?

In this case you can contact your employer to get another one, in a situation where your employer is unavailable you can contact CRA

What benefits can I claim as a first-time filer?

You will claim GST/HST, Medical benefits, Canada Childcare benefits (if you have a child)

What other tax slips should I know?

T3 – Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations – slip information for individualsT2202 – Tuition Enrolment Certificate

T1204 – Government Services Contract Payments

RC62 – Universal Child Care Benefit statement

RC210 – Working Income Tax Benefit Advance Payments Statement

RRSP contribution receipt – slip information for individuals

PRPP contribution receipt – slip information for individuals

T2202 – Tuition and Enrolment Certificate


After filing my taxes, when will I get my refund?

If you have received the notice of assessment but haven’t received the tax refund, you should be able to receive the tax refund through a cheque or direct deposit within 2 weeks.

Do I get my refund directly into my bank account?

Yes, CRA will automatically forward your refund to your bank account if you signed up for direct deposit, else a cheque will be sent to your mailing address provided while filing your tax

Can I get GST credit with zero income?

Yes, in most cases all you have to do to receive GST/HST credit is file your taxes each year

Do I need to report my income from my home country as a newcomer?

Yes, you are to report your net pay in CAD equivalent if you were working

What are T4 slips?

T4 – Statement of Remuneration Paid
T4A – Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
T4A (OAS) – Statement of Old Age Security
T4A(P) – Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits
T4E – Statement of Employment Insurance and Other Benefits
T4RIF – Statement of Income from a Registered Retirement Income Fund
T4RSP – Statement of RRSP Income

What are T5 slips?

T5 – Statement of Investment Income – slip information for individuals

T5007 – Statement of Benefits

T5008 – Statement of Securities Transactions – slip information for individuals

T5013 – Statement of Partnership Income

T5018 – Statement of Contract Payments

Let us help you!

Let us help you file your student income taxes and benefits returns perfectly.